The people of St. Lucia are a mixture of different nationalities, heritages and customs but share similar characteristics to peoples of the nearby islands. About 85% of them are of pure African origin while the other 15% is made up of British, mixed African, French and East Indian. Among this smaller percentage group are descendants of the Caribs; the original descendants from European and East Indian ancestry. The entire population of St. Lucia is about 170,000 with at least a third of its population living in the city of Castries-Gros Islet and its environs.
Although English is the original Language of St. Lucians, a larger percentage of the people speak French Patois. French Patois is as a result of the shared French Creole heritage and a combination of British and French domination during colonial years. French Patois or Creole is widely used by St.Lucians as a way of communicating by using figurative expressions or phrases.
The people are proud of their heritage and the unique mix of cultures and it makes the island truly distinctive.