The Derek Walcott square is located in the heart of Castries, the Capital of Saint Lucia and was established in the 1760's.
This 2 Acre public square is bounded by Bourbon, Brazil, Laborie and Micoud Street. The square is not only to honor Sir Walcott but the square also pays homage to residents who lost lives in battle during the war.
It was previously called Place d’ Armes and Pomenade Square and it was named Columbus Square in 1892.
In 1993, it was renamed after our Nobel Laureate in 1993, Sir Derek Alton Walcott. He received the 1992 Nobel Prize in Literature.
The park is a quiet oasis in the middle of the bustle of Castries and is surrounded by things to see and do.
Where is it:
It is located near the centre of downtown Castries well within walking distance of many other sights.